Monday, March 23, 2009

How to filter emails being downloaded into mobile?

This weekend I solved an interesting problem which was troubling me since long time. 

I get lot of emails from Bugzilla/gForge and other listservs that I am subscribed to. However, I do not want to download them into my mobile. At the same time, I want ALL emails being downloaded on my laptop. Unfortunately there was no easy way to control which emails get downloaded on a mobile. 

So the problem statement is:
1. Filter out certain mails from being downloaded on the mobile
2. Download ALL emails on the laptop

The solution I found is:
1. Create a folder (say 'mobile-unwanted') on the mail server and add a filter to move all the mobile-unwanted email to it (easily doable using webmail)
 - With this now my mobile downloads only mobile-wanted emails
2. On my laptop, in my email client (Thunderbird):
 - Changed from POP to IMAP. This is because POP does not allow you to download emails from non-Inbox folder. And IMAP does.
 - Create a folder called 'mobile-unwanted'on the laptop (note the name should be same as the one created on the server), and right click and click on "Check for new items". 
This takes care of downloading emails from that folder on my laptop.

Note that I use Thunderbird, I am sure there will be similar settings in other email clients. Thats it.

~Sri

No comments:

Post a Comment